You like pineapples? Throw em on there. You like peppahs? Throw em on there. You like BBQ chicken? You guessed it, throw em on there.
This is a style of cooking the Sexy Burger Six heartily endorses, which means we just had to do our tribute to pizza with the That's Amore Burger.
This was a last minute addition to the family. Stupidly we had forgotten all about a pizza burger. The idea evolved out of the hundreds of emails sent back and forth by the SBS the week prior (but if our bosses ask, the emails were "work related"). Planning on having a pizza night on Friday, a light went off in the mind of The Revolutionary Man: why eat pizza when we can eat a pizza burger?
Mama mia was this a good f'n burger! Each bite called to mind the truly great Italian heroes who came before us: Deano, Frank, Rocky, Tony C, Sophia Loren, Brian Scalabrine, Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, Michaelangelo, Mario and Luigi. My second favorite burger thus far.
- Ground beef: Hamburger is a well traveled pizza topping, so we went with the traditional beef for this one. I mixed it with some grated parm/ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning. Tender, juicy, bursting with flavor.
- Pizza sauce: In the future when time and budget are not issues, I will begin to make my own marinara. For now, I bought Ragu Pizza sauce. Blasphemy, I know, but times is tough. And it was still delicious. I put this on top of the burger after both sides were cooked rather than marinating the meat in it like I did with the spaghetti and meatball burger.
- Pepperoni: Second most popular pizza topping, so I found it fitting to join this party. Went on with the sauce and cheese.
- Fresh mozzarella: We here at Sexy Burger (especially myself, The Spot, and Prof. Purple) love our cheese. And any cheese lover knows, fresh mozzarella belongs in the top 3 cheeses cows ever created. As you'll see in the pictures, this melted on beautifully and was stringy and delicious.
- Pizza dough buns: The differentiator. This is what truly sets That's Amore apart from your typical pizza burger. We used Pillsbury pizza dough, seasoned it with olive oil, garlic powder, parm, and Italian seasoning. The things this did to my taste buds are unspeakable in this medium. Wow. Just, wow.
And last but certainly not least, big congratulations to Jim and Ashleigh Erickson, who just got married this Saturday. 4 of the SBS was in attendance and it was a great great time. My first wedding since being ring bearer at my aunts wedding when I was 4. First of my good friends to get married. I feel like such an adult.
That's Amore in Pictures